While Sharepoint Online is an excellent product and fits the bill nicely for the vast majority of customers, there are certain features it lacks when compared to it’s regular on-premise brethren; this is mainly down to the multi-tenant environment of the standard datacenters.
Green = Sharepoint Online Blue = On Premise Server Only
As you can see, the Search & Business Intelligence sections are practically non-existent online which may put some people off. However if you need those features then you can utilise MS Online in it’s full Software PLUS Services mode and have an online AND an on-premise server together. It will be interesting to see if Sharepoint Online features more Search & BI functionality once “Wave 14” hits as Sharepoint On-Premise will have a whole raft of new features in these areas…
In the current release of the services, the following actions are not supported:
· Use inline code, build coded workflows, or develop Office InfoPath forms with coded business logic.
· Deploy features, solutions, pluggable authentication providers, Web Parts, site definitions, or other modifications that require deployment and configuration on the server.
· Modify built-in SharePoint files, web.config settings, security policy, and other elements.
· Make configuration changes that affect the Web server or the Microsoft .NET Framework.
· Make changes or add capabilities that require a custom database or changes to the database schema.